Friday, August 24, 2012

POTUS, 2/14 part V


Five minutes after Potus strode out preceded and followed by Secret Service, the meeting room was completely empty.
A voice on the speakerphone shrilly piped up, “Hello, I wasn’t clear on what was said?  Is it my turn to begin my agenda items?”
Another voice on the line said, “Go ahead madam Secretary of State.”
“Thank you.”
Meanwhile, outside in the hallway, CoS tried desperately to catch up to the back of Potus’ security detail.  He tried to keep up with the brisk pace while juggling his mug, briefcase and several notebooks in his hands.
Walking in his characteristic quick strides, Potus turned to Johnson and said, “Johnson.  Let me ask you a personal question.”
“Yes Sir.”
“As head of presidential security detail, you’ve seen a lot of activity and a lot of humanity I imagine.”
“Yes Sir.”
“Does it ever happen that you can look at people and try to guess what they’re about?”
“About Sir?”  He pressed his finger to earpiece and then spoke into his wrist.  “Four seven twenty , Roger.”
“Roger?”
“Sorry, Sir, nothing.  You said, figuring out what people are about?  I don’t follow.”
“Yes, well, for example, and I’m going to get personal, it’s OK?”
“Certainly Sir.”
“Well, it’s just this CoS fellow, he’s a bit you know, well, how do we say.  He’s got a strange vibe about something.  I can’t quite put my finger on it.”
“I don’t understand.”  Into his wrist again, “Thirty-one four, please take over.  Potato in the west oven, carrying over in a few minutes.”
“You know, he’s a bit light.  Aloof.  A bit full of himself in the pants.  Wears a dress.  Is a fruit.”
Johnson looked closely at Potus through his dark glasses.  “You mean like gay?”
“Shhh.  Not so loudly.”  Johnson nodded.  “I’m just saying, he’s so fancy with his talk and his walk and clothes...  You know?”
“Sir, I come from the Midwest.  I think everyone in DC is gay.”
“Roger that!” Potus laughed and clapped Johnson on the shoulder as they turned left at a corner.  “What’s all that ‘potato’ gobbledegook on the radio?”
“Sir, that’s classified.”
CoS finally caught up to Potus and Johnson.  “Sir, Sir, um, I’d like to assure you that I am not gay...”
“Shhh!” Johnson and Potus shushed him at the same time.
CoS lowered his voice.  “Sir, you left before we took care of some more important details.  I highly suggest we schedule a follow up meeting to go over the details that were abandoned.  I’ve made a list that we can reference for the topics.”
“CoS,” Potus said.  “Do you think we’ll have ham or turkey?”
“Sir?”
“For lunch?”
“Um.  I, well, I don’t know.”
Johnson spoke up, “Sir, I believe the chef is preparing a clam chowder in sourdough with tuna salad sandwiches on the side.”
“Oh, that’s really good.”  Potus rubbed his hands together as they turned another corner and passed a security desk in the hallway.  “How do you know that?”
“I have to taste everything you eat to make sure it’s safe.”
“Wow.  Is that true?”
“No, Sir, it’s not.”
“Hmmmm.  Good one Johnson!”
They waited at a door before it was opened and went in to eat lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Weekly writing output

Wordcount graph
Powered by WritersDB.com