Monday, April 29, 2013

Logo Ergo Sum

I write.  I write a lot.  Even when I don't have a pen or a typewriter, I write.  The lines type across the back of my head when I stare at a wall. I don't see things, I narrate them to myself and translate the action into words.

She sounded tired.  Her head tilted to one side though her mouth was smiling.

He [I] stood motionless, waiting for the moment he would have to move, waiting for the stranger to look at him questioningly, waiting for the embarrassment to build so that he could move.

We cannot complete this journey without every preceding step.  Every rock, tumble, fall and back sliding incident.  It is important to keep a journal so we don't forget.

Sometimes it doesn't make sense, though.  Peter goes to lunch with Lumbert.  Yes, it's funny.  So what?  What does it mean?

It's like talking to the camera for five minutes and realising you haven't hit record.

It wasn't a neck problem.  It turns out it was a scapula and rib problem.

I think I'm lucky though.  To have a notepad with a bunch of drawings and scribbled pictures might make me mad.  With prose, it's less crazy -- he's just taking notes for work.  He's just writing lists for shopping.

But then I transcribe the conversations going on around me and I can repeal them like a law, And he commanded that the son could apply his degree for each career opportunity that the son wanted.  Verily, the son did roll his eyes and proclaim loudly that his major had already been set by year three and that the son could not participate in the teacher's credential program unless the son had signed up from the first day.  The father was admonished by the daughter who was protecting her brother that he should 'Stop talking about it Dad.'

I couldn't have dealt with that, by the way.  I don't like sons.  I think my son wouldn't be able to live up to my image of him.  He would constantly be under my withering gaze.  You aren't strong enough; you aren't smart enough; you aren't manly enough.  He would cringe and wince and whine even more, which would incite my anger.  Don't be gay, don't be a pansy!  All this because I hate myself as a son.  It's better not to be a bad person to a child.  No one wants that on their conscience.

I didn't notice fonts until recently when the author finally decided to get himself published.  I really like the italics in this font.  I like it a lot, even though I learned not to use them over the years.  I finally got convinced to use the Oxford comma in lists of one, two, and three.  I'm about 90% used to it now.  One habit I can't shake is the double-space after punctuation.  That one is going to be hard to break.

2 comments:

  1. Authors are a rather mad species lol. My internal notebook is very different to yours though, perhaps one day I will also share.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eff the oxford comma, you're not British! Murrica!
    You do need to stop doublespacing after the periods though.
    (I like sons. I would be very bad at girls..I do not understand them.)

    ReplyDelete

Weekly writing output

Wordcount graph
Powered by WritersDB.com